Monday, October 12, 2009

God, the Goalpost, and Gimme Scriptures: A Double Dactyl

I’m a big fan of Law Professor Jonathan Turley’s blog. Turley posts some very interesting stories. Some of the stories even inspire me to write poetry. After reading the following post at his blog, I wrote a double dactyl—which you’ll find at the bottom of this post.

From Jonathan Turley’s Blog (October 12, 2009): Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Post of Life: School Board to Meet on Christian Cheerleader Controversy:


This week, the Catoosa County School Board in Ringgold, Georgia will meet on a controversy over the cheerleaders of Georgia’s Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School who use Biblical verses as part of their displays to root for the football team to “commit to the Lord” and “take courage and do it.”

You can read the rest of the post here.


Here’s more on the story from AOL News: Bible Banned From School Football Field. (It includes a video of townspeople angered by the Bible banning decision.)


God, the Goalpost, and Gimme Scriptures:
A Double Dactyl for the Folks at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School

by Elaine Magliaro

Higgledy piggledy
Biblical verses
Help us to cheer on
Our team in a game.

God’s “up there” watching
Our fullbacks and tackles.
So if we’re defeated,
The Big Guy’s to blame.

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, Elaine! I love your double dactyl. Here's my contribution:

    Jiggery Pokery,
    Warriors are winners!
    Boo the Beatitudes,
    losers are lame.

    Even if we play most
    Fort-Oglethorpishly,
    God's on our side, kids,
    so He'll throw the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    I love it! Those last two lines are perfect. I hope you don't mind if I post your double dactyl at Political Verses.

    I wish there was more light verse written for adults today. I really enjoy reading poetry that makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be proud to have my poem up on Politcal Verses, Elaine, and I agree with you about light verse - more, more more. I loved Calvin Trillin's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julie! I'm a fan of Trillin's work too.

    ReplyDelete